Thursday 29 November 2018

Less is more - my journey into minimalism.

This is my first ever blog post, i'm not sure how many people will come across this blog, however i'm not writing a blog for an audience, this is more of a personal space to get my thoughts down on paper so to speak, if people come across it and find some value in a post here and there then great. You won't find me preening for an audience.

I've recently came across 'minimalism', first coming across this term as some sort of 'movement' or 'lifestyle' in the Netflix documentary 'Minimalism, A Documentary about the important things'. While not the best documentary ever made, I would have preferred a documentary with less focus on the two guys making it with a broader canvas, it did it's job of introducing minimalism to people who never even knew it existed.

This has had so many positive effects on my life which has really inspired me to document my experiences, without minimalism i would never have started my own blog, something i've had at the back of my mind for years.

Minimalism has creeped into my life in other ways before now, over the past decade or so my tastes in cinema and music have become more minimalist, the action films and rock music of my youth giving way to the slow, meditative films of Tarkovsky and the ambient music of Brian Eno. In fact the title of this blog is taken from a Brian Eno track, just because i liked the look and sound of it, i guess Brian Eno is a good link to minimalism, even if the google spiders may not quite figure it out.

Lets christen my first post with a shot from one of my favourite films, Mirror by Andrei Tarkovsky. This image really sums up the tone i hope to have here.



No comments:

Random update, minimalism, life and balance.

It's been a while, i met a girl in February who is absolutely wonderful, i feel like i've been carried on a tidal wave this year and...